Thursday, May 15, 2008

Social networking and libraries

Social networking on sites such as MySpace and Facebook was something that I was very aware of, although I've never actually set up a profile. However, I was interested to see the map from LeMonde which showed which social networking sites were most used in different parts of the world. Also, I'd never realised how many of these sites there are.

I can see that setting up a library profile would be a good way of attracting youth and young adults, but I doubt it would attract many people over 35. It is a new approach to marketing for libraries which I think has a useful place, especially in reaching those who don't see themselves as "bookish"! Having not actually joined a social networking site, I don't know how time consuming this would be, but I imagine that would just depend on whoever was responsible for maintaining the library's presence.

Second Life looks like an interesting phenomenon, but I couldn't really explore it because council blocks sites they consider to be games from staff computers.

As for the client interaction element of social networking sites, if a library were to engage in this, it could become very time consuming. It would need to be seen as a very definite priority for the amount of staff time it would require.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

I have also been amazed at just how many 'things' there are out there - 23?? 1000s more likely. But it's good to take a look and think about possible applications, and (in my case anyway) at least pretend you know what people are talking about!

Keep having fun with the program.

Victoria