Tuesday, April 1, 2008

RSS and Bloglines

Signing up to Bloglines and subscribing to RSS feeds has opened up a whole new aspect of internet use. It makes finding information on given interests so much easier as it comes to you without even looking for it!

I subscribed to the BBC World News site as I like to keep up with what's happening in the world and I think highly of BBC World News.

I clicked on a button labelled "Environmentalist" in a Bloglines list and ended up with a link to different types of alternative energy sources (I'm not quite sure why this is!)

Then I chose two library-related sites from professional interest. These were "NSW Readers Advisory" as these will provide insights from the experience of other library staff, and "Whatever Club" which is the initiative of the Youth Librarian of Manly Library, and gives ideas and feedback from the staff and teens involved at Manly Library in their services for young people.

Finally, as part of the requirements, I added the link to the Powerhouse Museum picture of the day site.

Somewhere along the way there was an instruction how to add "Sub with Bloglines" to my favourites, which made subscribing to subsequent sites really quick and easy.

Another suggestion which I found really helpful was advice on how to find blogs to subscribe to using a google search including the word "blogs" and the topic of interest.

Searching for library-related sites made me see how using RSS could be really beneficial ro libraries. By subscribing to sites related to different aspects of library work, library staff will gain insights and ideas from many others in the same field.

No comments: